We train Midwives!
The Corpus Christi Birth Center trains student midwives and apprentices. We are currently accepting inquiries and are looking for new full time students.
UPDATE (June, 2020) :
Corpus Christi Birth Center is currently seeking a new full-time student who will fit with our practice. Please note that we currently accepting “Mercy in Action” student midwives. We will consider other programs on a case-by-case basis only. We are a group of Christian midwives with conservative Bible based values and are seeking a like minded student for our practice.
We promise to review every inquiry. If we believe you might be a good fit for our practice, we will keep review your inquiry and consider your participation in our training.
Students who we believe fit best with us:
- have compatible values and a compatible world view with our current birth team who are each Bible believing Christians.
- have an exceptional work ethic and are extremely neat and self motivated. They are willing to cheerfully help with cleaning responsibilities at the birth center and office in exchange for their apprenticeship experience.
- are self-motivated and disciplined.
- are willing to serving others cheerfully.
Please first read the Apprenticeship Policy Manual May 2019 – CCBC. If you wish to send in an inquiry, please use this link for the right form Apprenticeship Inquiry Form 5-2019. We will be happy to consider you for an apprenticeship. Filling out an inquiry form does not obligate you to accept an apprenticeship nor does it obligate us to accepting but please inquire if you are seriously interested so we may consider you.
Our apprenticeship program is an opportunity for those who would like to get clinical training with CCBC while they study midwifery. It is an opportunity to become a Licensed and/or Certified Professional Midwife. Full time students who complete with us may apply for a staff position with the birth center if interested when they finish. We cannot guarantee a position but since we only work with students who are a good fit, we are often a good match as midwives, too. We are always looking for opportunities to grow our birth center with like minded staff members who will share our values and vision.
A full time apprenticeship including academic studies typically takes 3-5 years for most students to complete. Beth Overton, the senior midwife and Grace Frantz, a staff midwife at CCBC are NARM approved preceptors and also preceptors for the following midwifery program: the Mercy in Action Midwifery Program. Our third staff midwife, Adlai Welfel is working towards preceptor status and expects to complete the requirements within the year. If you are interested in or enrolled in different program, please let us know more about your program of choice when you apply.
- A Completed Apprenticeship Inquiry Form.Apprenticeship Inquiry Form 5-2019
- Download and read the entire Apprenticeship Policy Manual May 2019 – CCBC
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have your own transportation, lap top computer and a reliable cell phone.
- We prefer for full time students to be enrolled in an academic program for midwifery academics but we will consider students enrolled in the NARM PEP process under some circumstances.
- Must be available to keep up with a busy midwife’s schedule and be on call 5 days of each week (24 hours a day) while with us.
- Apprentices must be a good “fit” for our practice. It is important that we can work well together for long periods of time.
- Cannot have any responsibilities which would interfere with being on call or work difficult hours.
- Must be willing to work and study hard.
If you would like to know more about this wonderful educational opportunity please fill out our Inquiry Form first! By some standards, it is a lengthy questionnaire but we get many inquiries from prospective students and simply do not have time to speak to everyone over the phone or answer lots of questions by email. If you want to know more about us, read our website. Answering the questions on our form gives us the opportunity to get to know you a little better.
We use the Inquiry Form as a screening tool to help us find the most compatible applicants for our practice. You will receive an answer from us if you fill out the form but we only pick those who we think are the most compatible to offer an apprenticeship. If we do not have an opening at the time you apply, we will keep your inquiry in case an opening comes up later. if we decide to offer you an apprenticeship.
If we do not offer you an apprenticeship, we ask that you not take it as a personal rejection or take it as if we don’t think you will make a good midwife. We simply think you would fit with another practice better than ours or we don’t have an opening available. We hope you will respect this process and understand the wisdom behind it. Completed Inquiry Forms should be faxed to 361.336.0212 or sent by email to [email protected] (please replace the DOT with an actual dot)
This is a work-exchange program. The education and clinical experience is provided in exchange for midwifery related work during the apprenticeship training period. For this reason, we are looking for individuals with a strong work ethic who are self-motivated and disciplined and who are cheerful and ethical in everything they do.
Housing and Other Expenses
Students must provide their own living expenses during training and we are sometimes able to help you find low cost furnished housing in the area, especially if you are open to living with roommates.
You will also need to consider the cost of a midwifery course and educational materials which is not included in our offer and we also require students to pay $20 a month to cover the cost of access to our digital charting service.